[nsroots] Isle Haute history

dutchink at pei.sympatico.ca dutchink at pei.sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 5 13:23:36 ADT 2006

Re- Hfx Explosion- I have interviews of people from eastern & central PEI
who also heard and/or had  the ground shake or dishes rattle in Dec 1917.

Also folks in New Glasgow & eastern Pictou Co. who  thought it was coal mine
explosion it was so loud. My grf Joe Cunningham & his father Rbt were
threshing grain inside a barn in Lwr. Barney's River, Pictou Co. They were
using a gas-powered stationary engine -they heard the explosion above the
racket of both thresher & 5 hp engine. They thought their 45-gal barrel of
gas had exploded.

12 yrs later people who felt the 7.2 magnitude earthquake in the Gulf of St
Lawrence thought it was another Halifax Explosion. Wells went dry on PEI,
dishes rattled, and in at least 1 instance a horse was knocked to its knees
by the ground shaking.

cheers Thompson in PEI